The presidential candidate in the 2023 election and former vice president of Nigeria, Atiku Abubakar, has reacted to the death of Nabeeha Al-Kadriyar, who was killed by her abductors in Abuja.
Atiku spoke through a statement on his official X handle on Sunday.
He said the murder of Nabeeha showed that kidnappers and bandits were operating unhindered in Nigeria.
He called for the rejig of the country’s security architecture to stop the free rein of criminal elements and guarantee the safety of lives and property.
“I am saddened by reports of the brutal murder of Nabeeha Al-Kadriyar, who was abducted with her siblings and has been in the custody of their abductors for almost two weeks.
“This is yet another reminder that kidnappers and bandits are operating unhindered in our country.
“The security architecture needs to be rejigged to the extent that it stems from the free rein of criminal elements and guarantees the safety of lives and property.
“The security agencies should step up action to rescue the rest who are still in the custody of the kidnappers”, he wrote.
Recall that barely two weeks ago, bandits kidnapped Alhaji Mansoor Al-Kadriyar and his six children in the Bwari Area Council of the Federal Capital Territory.
The deceased, Nabeeha, was among the six children of Alhaji Mansoor Al-Kadriyar.
She was laid to rest according to Islamic rites on Saturday.
Nabeeha was a 400-level biological science student at Ahmadu Bello University (ABU), Zaria.
Others abducted include: Najeebah (500 level, Quantity Surveying), Nadheerah (300 level, Zoology)
It was gathered that the kidnappers had earlier contacted the family, demanding N60 million ransom, but now increased to N100 million after Nabeeha’s murder.
The incident caused a stir on social media as Nigerians sought justice for Nabeeha and the release of her siblings.
The spokesperson of the Nigeria Police Force, Olumuyiwa Adejobi, said, “we have been working on it, but we need some info. We will try our best possible to emplace all necessary measures to rescue them unhurt.”
“But we need to get some information please”, he wrote on X while responding to a post by Ahmed Bashir, former media aide to ex-President Muhammadu Buhari.